Monday, April 7, 2014

About Me

I think the best way to describe me is a "music teacher who caught the travel bug." A fantastic study abroad experience during college left me with the burning desire to figure out how I can travel and get paid to do it. 

The answer was international school teaching! 

I've spent my first two years out of college teaching middle school (grades 6-8) general music at an international school in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, and let me say, I haven't regretted my decision for a minute! The experiences I've had so far make me certain that, at least for the foreseeable future, the life of an expat teacher is for me!



However...

When I arrived two years ago, I was told to "teach music." 

No curriculum to follow, no resources, and not a lot of guidance from veteran teachers. I had an electric piano, and that was about it. 

A combination of all these factors has led to lots of trials, tribulations, and wonderful "learning experiences" which I hope to catalog in this blog. 

As with most teachers who start to blog, I hope to use this as a tool for reflection and growth as a music educator. All feedback and comments are more than welcome!

Cheers,
Kevin


No comments:

Post a Comment